Annandale’s main road, Little River Turnpike (Route 236), was chartered as a private turnpike by the General Assembly in 1795. The tollhouse survived for 170 years where Route 236 intersects Ravensworth Road. In 1830, the area was named “Anandale” by a Scottish settler, after a village in Scotland at the mouth of the Annan River. In later years the name was modified to become Annandale.
The Hillbrook community originated as one of seven developed on 68 acres known as the McAdams subdivision shortly after the end of World War II. Construction of homes in the Hillbrook area began in 1946 and continued until 1964. At that time, development in Hillbrook was confined to a few residences on Hillbrook Drive, Cherry Lane, Oak Court, and a section of Pacific Lane. Typically, owners purchased half-acre and full-acre lots, and homes were designed and built to individual specifications. Much of the surrounding area consisted of dense forests and farm fields. The Hillbrook-Tall Oaks area has experienced substantial growth since its beginnings as a quiet and reclusive suburban subdivision.
Development of the adjoining Tall Oaks subdivision was started in 1962 and completed in 1969. Tall Oaks today consists of all of the lanes and courts between Dodson Drive and Kingston Drive and is bounded on the north by Pacific Lane on the south by Braddock Road. Cherry Lane was also extended during this period with the addition of 11 residences. Sunset Woods, the next addition to our community was completed in early 1984. It consists of 11 homes and was built over the last large wooded area bordering Braddock Road and abuts the Bradlick Shopping Center. The latest addition of Hillbrook Springs, completed in 1996, on the Winter Lane cul-de-sac, consists of 9 homes.
Today, the land that once was parceled among Byrne, Nash, and Tall Oaks farms is the site of the 275 homes that make up the Hillbrook-Tall Oaks community stretching between Little River Turnpike and Route 620, the historic General Braddock Road in the heart of Fairfax County.